TDMST Weekly Round-Up: 2021.06.12
This is the TDMST Weekly Round-Up of news affecting professional truck drivers, written by Vicki Simons for the week ending June 12, 2021.
We welcome your comments, thoughts and feedback on the items of your choice below.
1. Regarding cyberattacks: Navistar, JBS, Colonial Pipeline, and future:
First, Colonial Pipeline supposedly underwent a cyberattack, which shut down a lot of gas stations on the East Coast.
Then, it was the JBS meat packing plants.
Most recently, it has been Navistar.
What's next? Check out the articles below.
Cyberattacks - Navistar
Cyberattacks - JBS
Cyberattacks - Colonial Pipeline
Cyberattacks - future
2. Regarding fuel, hydrogen, electric vehicles, emissions, green and energy:
3. Regarding bridge, roads, and pollution:
4. Regarding accidents and theft:
Please learn from the articles listed below what preceded accidents so that you don't repeat the behavior and wind up in one yourself.
Please protect yourself, your truck, and the load in your trailer!
5. Regarding AB5, lawsuit and politics:
6. Regarding employment, owner operators, operations, respect, issues, medical and capacity:
Before you look to becoming an owner-operator, please do all of your due diligence.
I highly recommend that you talk with other owner-operators first!
7. Regarding rates, recall, delivery and ports:
- Same-day versus next-day delivery: Which is more sustainable?
Quote (without link):
"With same-day delivery, customers who place their orders within a specific time frame get their orders processed, packaged and delivered within 24 hours, either by the business’ delivery transport system or a third-party delivery solutions provider.
"A delivery expectations survey carried out by PWC showed that 41% of consumers are willing to pay an extra charge to get a product during the same day. Yet the survey also noted that only 24% would pay for almost immediate (a one- or two-hour window) delivery. While this proves that the demand for instant delivery is set to grow exponentially, there are still drawbacks to the sustainable implementation of this method."
- UPS mulling same-day delivery service with contracted drivers -- CEO
The ports are booming with imports.
If you're a trucker who can haul containers from the ports, make sure you have all of the paperwork and credentials you need.
8. Regarding drugs and smuggling:
Never ever offer to haul drugs, no matter how much money you've been promised.
Never ever offer to haul humans like they are cattle, no matter how much money you've been offered.
9. Regarding technology, drones and autonomous vehicles:
I am absolutely opposed to driverless, self-driving and autonomous trucks, but keep you updated on this topic for your education.
10. Regarding economy, detention, taxes and insurance:
11. Regarding safety, regulations, securement and weather:
All year long -- but especially in summer -- make sure that you keep plenty of drinking water on hand.
You may wish to review the hot truck page on our site.
12. Regarding award:
Congratulations to all who were awarded with a company award or were otherwise recognized!
My husband Mike and I wish you -- and all professional truck drivers -- safe travels and lots of money saving opportunities on the road.
Return from TDMST Weekly Round-Up: 2021.06.12 to our TDMST Weekly Round-Up Trucking Commentary or our Truck Drivers Money Saving Tips home page.